Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Charley Harper x-stitch for mama


I have been working on a bunch of crafts for the past couple of months, but I can't really post about any of them because they still need to be sent out as Christmas gifts and cards to people who read this blog! One crafty item that I can post about is the birthday present that I made for my mom (I made it back in October to send out before leaving for Costa Rica -- Carlos and I were traveling on my mama's birthday on 30 November).

I was inspired by a mural made by the awesome nature artist Charley Harper and I interpreted his tile-work into a cross-stitch: I call it the "Alaska Sampler." I stitched a black bear, musk ox, and moose (some of my mom's favorite mammals) and added little sparks of colorful stitches (Charley Harper also did this in his murals and I thought it looked cool and interesting). I really like the way this turned out and I think my mom also liked this little textile interpretation of Charley Harper!

No comments: