Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Total Recall

I was just watching Total Recall (1990 sci-fi film starring Arnold Schwarzenegger) with my friend Ana. While watching, I commented that some of the subway scenes really reminded me of the metro in Mexico City, which I visited about 3 years ago. Ana is from Mexico and she pointed out a neon sign in one of the scenes displaying a uniquely-Mexican brand of soda...then Ana started to remember that a famous movie was shot in Mexico City back in the day so we did a little internet searching. I found that almost all of Total Recall was filmed in Mexico City! This was to take advantage of the futuristic, harsh concrete and metal architecture that abounds in the city (a style called Brutalism). This was so amazing! After digging a little more, I found that some scenes were filmed in the metro itself (Insurgentes station on Line 1 and Chubacano station to be exact). I rode THAT VERY SUBWAY LINE and passed through the Insurgentes station!!! This was really exciting and had I known this while I was in Mexico, I most definitely would have taken tons of pictures -- I love visiting movie sites and I love movie trivia, especially for my favorite movies!

No comments: