Wednesday, January 19, 2011

X-mas 2010: Food

This is my last post from my Christmas trip up to Washington. Here are some of the tasty things with which I stuffed myself silly -- good thing I do a lot of walking here in DC!

On Christmas day we always have a great lunch of snacks including: cheeses, fruit, vegetables + dip, pickles, olives, crackers, and this time we also had avocado and licorice wheels. This is one of the best lunches!

Our Christmas dinner was also delicious as usual and included honey-baked ham, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, yams with marshmallows, and green-top salad (the orange jell-o concoction) -- so good!

One night, we had a great fondue dinner with multi-colored potatoes, cornichons, and bread to dip in the cheese (with a delicious Riesling to drink).

For Carlos' early birthday celebration I made a "Jungle Pie," AKA peaches and cream cheesecake. It is called Jungle Pie because my mom, Judy, and I made a couple of these in La Selva, Costa Rica (the jungle) for my birthday a few years ago when they came down to visit!

While home, I made chocolate con queso (hot chocolate with cheese) for my mom a few times -- she liked it! This typical Colombian treat may sound weird, but don't knock it 'till ya try it (you must use Mexican/Colombian hot chocolate and a soft salty cheese like Havarti).

For Christmas, I gave my dad a whoopie pie cooking pan as a gift and also made some whoopie pies using the pan -- it worked out really well (thought my whoopie pie filling melted...I blame it on not being able to find Fluff on the West Coast so I had to use marshmallow creme!).

Whoosh, that was a lot of food -- good thing I am going to the field soon to burn off some of those snacks/meals!

No comments: