Thursday, September 08, 2011

Zaytinya for Restaurant Week


When I returned to DC from Maine, I found myself in the midst of Restaurant Week! This is when restaurants around the city offer special lunch and dinner menus at reduced prices -- it is a nice way to try a sampling of foods at a new restaurant that you might not visit otherwise. Carlos and I always try to choose one restaurant to visit during summer and winter Restaurant Weeks and this time we decided to try Zaytinya!

This is a Mediterranean tapas restaurant that I've been meaning to visit for a while, but I just never got around to it. We decided to try the lunch menu ($20/person). For $20, we got a lot of really tasty food!

First, we tried the fattoush salad and hummus with pitas -- both were very good, but I liked the salad a little better than the hummus.

For the next course, we had some delicious shrimpies in mustard dill sauce and veal cutlets with tzatziki on lettuce beds. Wow, so good!

Next, we shared some HUGE scallops with tzatziki and meatballs with feta. Both were delicious, but the scallops were my favorite dish of the meal -- they were cooked perfectly and went really well with the tzatziki! Carlos really liked the meatballs.

For dessert (as if we weren't already stuffed!) we sampled Greek vanilla yogurt with honey and Turkish delight -- walnut ice cream with pastry and little honey jelly bits. They were both equally good!

After our late lunch, we waddled back to the museum. Now we have a new restaurant to bring out-of-towners!

PS. I am leaving for a vacation with my sister in a couple of days (we are going to Disney World!) so I won't be posting for the next week. I will, however, have plenty of new things to write about when I return. See ya real soon~

1 comment:

Jubie said...

Oooh, I remember walking by this place with you -- wow, everything you guys ate looked delicious! Those scallops looked like they were the size of softballs, holy cow.