Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Portland, ME - Day 4

This is the last day of my trip to Portland -- I had such a great time hanging out with my friends! We started the day off with a tasty breakfast from the Standard Baking Co. where I had a nice rooibos tea, an apricot and marzipan tart, and a chocolate muffin-thing. The tart was the best!

We spent a relaxing morning wandering around the Old Port town and shopping for some last-minute souvenirs. We also peeped into a lobster shop to see about sending some fresh lobsters home, but it was a little pricey -- maybe it's better to take a live lobster with you on the plane tucked away safely in your carry-on!

We had a nice clam chowder (or chowdah) lunch at Gilbert's Chowder house.

After lunch and more wanderings, we returned to the hotel so that I could check into my flight online before leaving for the airport around 2pm. Well, due to bad weather (I guess?) my flight out of Portland was pushed back by about 5 hours, meaning I would definitely miss my connection in Detroit. After tussling with Delta, they put me on a new flight to DC that left the next morning. Luckily I have awesome friends and Jen and Erin let me stay with them for the night (thanks guys!!). We relaxed by playing Bananagrams and drinking root beer mixed with whipped cream flavored vodka. Woo-hoo!

I said goodbye the next morning and everyone made it back home safe and sound. It was a fun trip and a nice reunion with my Santa Barbara buddies. Maybe I can take a trip out to California soon to see them all again~

That's it for my Maine trip report. I returned home with a bunch of souvenirs for people, but I was pretty restricted by only bringing a carry-on suitcase so no big canisters of Maine maple syrup or blueberry jam!

No comments: