Thursday, June 07, 2012

Wilderness First Responder

I am back from Washington state where I was visiting my family for a little less than a week while Shannon got married -- more on that in another post!

I took a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) course a couple of weeks back (as part of my OTS job, leading students and faculty around the wilderness) and I have finally downloaded my pictures so I can post about it. 

This was an EXTREMELY intense 8-day (80+ hour) course that I took at Georgetown University.  There were 11 people in the class (one person dropped out on day 3) and we learned a lot about wilderness emergency medicine and how to treat a variety of ailments/issues/etc.  This course was very difficult and definitely not for the weak-hearted.  We had to deal with simulations involving everything from traumatic brain injuries, eviscerations, snake bites, and fish hooks in eyes!  It was crazy but I graduated and don't have to take another WFR course until my certification expires in 3 years.  Here are some photos documenting the experience (I didn't have time to take many photos during class so this is just a small sampling of what we worked on).








2 comments:

Christina said...

Marc's really jealous of you taking this course. Looks like fun! When are you going to come visit our wilderness?

Jubie said...

Ewwwwwwwww