Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Finding seeds


I spend a lot of time in the field looking on the floor for seeds. These aren't just any seeds...they are seeds that I have modified to make them easy to find on the forest floor after mammals move/eat them. I collect seeds of 4 plant species (Socratea exorrhiza, Dipteryx panamensis, Iriartea deltoidea, and Astrocaryum alatum) from the ground (or using a slingshot to hit ripe fruits out of the canopy) and tie 50cm of flourescent pink string, a small numbered plant tag, and 10cm of pink flagging tape to each seed through a drilled hole. After this modification, I set out seeds in grids of 9 either inside cages or exposed. The cages allow agoutis (Dasyprocta punctata, Rodentia) to enter and take the seeds within but exclude peccaries (Tayassu tajacu, Artiodactyla) from the seed crop. Every 2 days I search the forest floor for pink strings in a 50m radius from the source. Sometimes it can take FOREVER to find a string/seed, but each data point is worth the work. Example: yesterday it took me over an hour to find a seed that was dispersed 36.42m from the source. When I found that sucker I was really proud--all in a day's work for a field biologist!

No comments: