Saturday, June 30, 2007

Costa Rica--Where I've been


I was thinking about how much of Costa Rica I have visited over the years and decided to make a map of my travels all over the country. I first came to Costa Rica in March 2002 during my third year of college at UC-Santa Barbara and have been back about once a year (or more) since then. I have traveled to beaches on both the Pacific and Atlantic sides (it's hard to choose which coast is nicer) and I have been to about 10 national parks and reserves. I have worked on beaches on both coasts, in the cold paramo of the Talamanca mountains (the range runs through the middle of Costa Rica), in the dry forests of Guanacaste in the NW and Palo Verde further south, and I have hiked near Volcan Arenal (an active volcano--with flowing lava, hot springs, rumblings and all). I now work in one of the wettest forests of the Costa Rican lowlands, but I plan on fitting in a bit more travel before I finish my research. I still need to visit Volcan Poas (the 2nd largest crater in the world--after Mauna Loa) and a couple more beaches (with black sand!) before I go back to the states. Fortunately I still have 6-7 months left so that should leave me plenty of time to do more traveling...well...if the research permits!

No comments: