Sunday, July 04, 2010

France -- Arrival and conference


On 11 June 2010, I left Miami and traveled to France for the Frugivory and Seed Dispersal conference (hereafter FSD2010). After maaaany hours of travel (from Miami to Heathrow to Paris to Montpellier), I finally arrived in Montpellier on the evening of 12 June.

The next day, I registered for FSD2010 and visited with friends there before cocktail night. I am not going to go into conference details (probably boring for non-biologists!), but the conference lasted from 13-17 June, it was awesome. I gave a great talk in front of 200+ people (!) and made a lot of good friends and connections. On the final night of the conference, we had a huge banquet celebration and said our goodbyes to people, perhaps to meet again in South Africa for FSD2015!

On the day of 18 June, I was able to relax (each day of the conference was really intense, lasting from 8:30 am until at least 8:30 pm!) and actually visit the cute city of Montpellier. Montpellier is a university town full of students and cool architecture – I especially liked the big plaza (Place de la Comedie) in the center of old town which was always my landmark to look for whenever I got turned around on little winding streets. Later that day, I met up with my mom and Judy at the Montpellier train station. From there, we travelled (with a few train and hotel annoyances along the way) to Carcassonne: a beautiful fortified medieval city 1.5 hours west of Montpellier. I will talk about our daily adventures from here on out (with plenty of pictures), beginning with our first day in Carcassonne next time!

No comments: