Wednesday, August 25, 2010

DC stuff

Well, another busy week is underway, but I thought I would (finally!) post some pictures showing a sampling of what I have been up to since arriving in DC.

Carlos and I visited the Smithsonian African Art Museum (this was the first time that either of us had been there) and they had a great exhibit about animals in African art:


It has been really hot and humid here recently (some days in the high 90's and even one day when it was 101 degrees F!). We watched these birdies enjoy cooling off in the fountains behind the Smithsonian Castle:

We ate some cupcakes (blueberry on the left and red velvet on the right):

We have been using the metro a bunch:

We tried some gelato at Dolcezza (plum and lemon/ricotta):

We visited the Museum Support Center (MSC) where 98% of the Smithsonian's collections are housed. I especially liked looking at the elephant skeleton that was shot be Teddy Roosevelt (well, he shot the elephant, not just its skeleton!):

We also saw some of the amazing living plant collections in one of the greenhouses out at MSC:

During a visit to the Zoo last week, Carlos and I were lucky to see the clouded leopards taking naps:

After the Zoo, we found some lunch at a little Vietnamese place:

I have also been working in the herbarium a lot, but I will talk about that in another post!

No comments: