Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Costa Rica -- La Selva environs

On this trip to Costa Rica, Carlos and I spent most of our time at our old haunt: La Selva Biological Station. In the midst of our 2 weeks at La Selva, we took a side trip out to La Fortuna (where Volcan Arenal is located). I took plenty of pictures throughout my trip and I thought a good start to my Costa Rica blog posts would be a post with pictures of the environments that I like best within La Selva.

On my first day at La Selva, I took a hike on trails CES --> CEN --> STR. This picture was taken from STR trail (it's a pretty open trail, and spans through secondary forest mostly):

One of the more picturesque streams in the station, taken from the middle of a metal bridge. Note the many bromeliads growing on the rocks!


Carlos and I both really like this little pond off trail where we feed the frugivorous fish (machacas) any fruits and seeds we find on the trail.

To relax, we often take walks in the swamp (Cantarrana) and look for frogs and turtles jumping into the water. Too bad giant trees always fall down and break the boardwalk!

I have lots of other La Selva pictures to post (in a post on animals and another on plants) along with lots of pictures of our old neighborhood and La Fortuna!

No comments: