Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Costa Rica -- La Selva plants & fungi


This is my final picture post from Carlos' and my trip to La Selva and in this installment, I have a few pictures of vegetation and assorted plant-like things. In the picture above, I am squatting near one of my baby Astrocaryum alatums that was planted in the lab clearing. I reared this little tree from a seed and now it is around 5 or 6 years old and doing great -- very spiny too!

Here is a typical trail going through the primary forest in La Selva:

A huge tree, possibly a Sura, in the primary forest:

One of my former study species: Socratea exorrhiza (also called the walking palm):

A huge liana (woody vine, genus = Bauhinia) going up a palm tree:

Some cute, white fungi:

A typical sight -- a strangler fig strangling a host tree:

Although my La Selva posts from this trip are finished, I still have lots of pictures from La Fortuna and around our old neighborhood outside La Selva (La Flaminea) where we met up with some old (and furry) friends!

No comments: