Sunday, January 20, 2013

X-mas in the CA desert

Carlos and I had a busy Christmas break this year: we started off by traveling to Redmond, WA (staying and playing with my parents and Remlington up there for about 4 days) then we all (except for Remlington!) flew down to Los Angeles, CA then drove to Lancaster to stay with my sister and her husband BJ for Christmas (Carlos and I stayed for 8 days). We had so much fun and I am glad that all of us were able to celebrate Christmas together as a family (this was the first time we were all together in about 3 years). We spent a lot of time relaxing and exploring Lancaster. I loved the desert there and the town was so pretty, relaxed, and was overall full of fun -- I can't wait for our next visit!

The first night there, Shannon made a beautiful chocolate tart for her co-workers. It even had gold glitter and gold leaf on it!


We spent a lot of time playing around the warm fire -- it was colder in Lancaster while we were there than it was in either of the Washingtons (state and DC)! Note the kitty bed hehehe.

Shannon and BJ set up their huge tree before we arrived and I decorated it (up to a certain height) with all of Shannon's ornaments. I especially like the giant sparkly purple Mickey head from Disney World.

One afternoon (every day was gorgeous while we were there) Shannon, BJ, Carlos, and I wandered into the desert behind their house to look for meteorites (we did this again later in a more sophisticated way...another post will talk about that adventure). The landscape around Lancaster is really pretty. I would love to return during the California Poppy festival!

On another day, Dad, Shannon, and I all drove into Hollywood (about an hour away) to visit Universal Studios -- and on the way saw the famous Vasquez Rocks -- but that is a topic for another post!

PS. Tomorrow morning (leaving the house at 3:15 am) Carlos and I embark upon another Costa Rica trip. We will be gone until mid-March, but I should be able to keep posting because we will be at stations with pretty reliable internet access. Chau!

No comments: