Friday, October 23, 2009

DC -- Riding on the metro


When I arrived at Reagan National Airport, I walked to the metro station (located conveniently inside the airport) and bought a one-week short-trip pass from a little machine. Basically, this card allowed me to ride the DC metro as many times as I wanted during a one-week period.

Overall, the metro was efficient and fast (except for the one time when I was on an unmoving train for 20 minutes!) and it was a great way to get anywhere inside DC and to some attractions (and our hotel) in Virginia. I especially loved the architecture of the metro tunnels: it was a really cool modular rectangle design cast in cement. The metro stop near our hotel (Rosslyn) also had a really neat tunnel that you rode in on an escalator to get to the surface.

The metro was surprisingly clean and easy to use and I had fun just using the DC public transportation system since we don’t have anything near as great in Miami!

No comments: