Monday, November 15, 2010

National Zoo visit


About a week ago, I visited the National Zoo. It was a beautiful sunny yet cold day and I brought a thermos full of hot apple cider and pretzels for a sort of mini-picnic -- it was great! I saw lots of awesome animals (as usual) and in all, I visited the Small Mammal House, Amazonia, and the Reptile House.

When I first entered the Zoo, there is a sign describing the black color morph of squirrels and how a population was introduced to DC from Canada. There always seems to be a black squirrel hanging out near this sign (this isn't a real exhibit, they just happen to be in the area -- they aren't exhibiting local squirrels here!). Today was no different and I saw a little black squirrel intently hoarding a seed in the dirt and piling lots of maple leaves on top -- he was really into it!

After my squirrel adventure, I went to the Small Mammal House and visited rock cavies and my favorite acouchy (pretty much just like an agouti but with a longer little tail).

From the Small Mammal House, I saw prairie dogs on the way to Amazonia. The rain forest exhibit is really nice and it is so fun to walk around the "forest" and to recognize many plants (and animals) that I've seen in La Selva.

After that, I visited the collared peccaries, but they were inside (it was too cold for them outside). Next, I went to the Reptile House and I really liked seeing lots of little froggies and other herps. My favorites were the pancake tortoises!

My friend Arietta is coming up for a visit during Thanksgiving and I think a visit to the zoo will be necessary!

No comments: