Friday, July 27, 2007

Day 4--Morelia

I woke up today at 6:30am--I guess I was anxious about my day of travel to Morelia. I ate a breakfast of brioche and hot chocolate with Danielle at El Globo (that hot chocolate is really good!). Soon after, I checked out of the hostel, said goodbye to Danielle, and walked down to the metro. I rode line 1 to Observatorio (super-close) and found my way to the Central de Autobuses de Oriente. I bought my ticket for a silla sola on the 10:30am ETN bus to Morelia. The ticket (one-way) was about $28 US, but totally worth it. This was the best bus ever! Upon boarding the bus, I was given a boxed lunch and drink. Inside, there were only about 24 seats and tons of space for each person. My seat was located on one side in a row of single seats, and the seat could recline almost flat! I also had an inclined foot-rest, pillow, earphones, and cupholder! The ride to Morelia took about 4 hours and during the trip I watched the movie 50 First Dates with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore. It was fairly entertaining (at least there was a penguin wearing a Hawaiian shirt in it!).

I arrived in Morelia ~2:45pm and took a taxi from the bus station to Hostal Allende near the city’s Centro Historico. My room here was really nice (well worth the $11 per night price tag!) and contained a comfy bed, TV (with cable), and a private bathroom (with hot water). I would definitely stay here again. My hostel was also really close (4 blocks or so) from the venues for the ATBC and the cathedral.


After settling in, I walked around the colonial streets and eventually found a grocery store where I bought more bread, yoghurt, cheese, and tomatoes for my dinner that night at the hostel. I toured around town for a while and saw the famous pink-stone cathedral and main square. Being pretty tired from all the traveling, I walked back to the hostel, ate dinner, and watched TV (it’s been so long since I have seen TV!). Tomorrow I register for the conference and get to see more of the town when my friends arrive!

No comments: