Friday, August 26, 2011

Austin, TX - Part 4


For the last part in my Austin blogging series, I will talk about a visit to the pretty Texas state capitol. Carlos and I visited the capitol on a slow morning (when there weren't any talks that we wanted to see). It was a super hot and sunny day, but not a very far walk from our hotel and once we were inside the building it was nice and cool.

I really like the outside of the capitol and it looks a lot like the capitol we see every day here in DC, only a bit smaller and more brown (I liked the brown color of the stone used in its construction).

The inner room under the rotunda was very cool and if you stand in the very center of the dome, you can talk and the echo only bounces back to you -- no one around you can hear it (I think this is called a whispering chamber). Neat effect!

We guided ourselves on a little tour of the rooms throughout the capitol, visiting the house and senate chambers and seeing lots of cool things. I think my favorite room was the treasury -- people have offices inside the big cage (and I really loved the black and white checker tile floor).

Thus ends our time in Austin, from there I flew straight to Portland, Maine for my friend's wedding -- but I will talk about that more in the next few blogging installments!

No comments: