Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Walking along the Oregon Trail...

I have been feeling a bit blobbish lately and decided that it was time to get back into a real exercise routine again.  The Smithsonian offers a totally free fitness assessment and access to two gyms (one in the American History Museum and the other in the Air and Space Museum) so Carlos and I decided to sign up and get totally buff! 

I have been alternating working out in the gym (elliptical, exercise bike, weight lifting) with swimming at the local aquatic center (there is one in Eastern Market and it's free for DC residents).  I am really enjoying getting back into swimming and exercising and I am already feeling more energetic.

As part of the Smithsonian fitness program, I also received a free gift -- my very own pedometer!  The goal is to walk at least 10,000 steps per day (2,000 steps = 1 mile) to stay fit.  There is even a cool little website that I can go to and log my daily steps.  They make it fun by letting you set individual challenges -- right now I am walking the Oregon Trail (I am near the Shawnee Mission) and I have walked 68,994 total steps (34 miles) since I began six days ago!

No comments: