Monday, February 16, 2009

Evening at the Kampong


This event actually happened about a week ago, but I only downloaded my pictures today so now I can finally post about it!

As a volunteer with the Gifford Arboretum (the arboretum on campus here at UM), I and a few other biology grad students attended the annual presentation of the Fairchild Medal at the Kampong. The Kampong is a beautiful garden and headquarters for the National Tropical Botanical Garden. The Fairchild Medal is an award given out every year to an esteemed botanist who has excelled in the field of plant exploration, investigation, and collection. The event is really fun (I've gone twice before) and the grad students were bartenders for the evening. We got to eat free snacks, drink wine, and watch the award ceremony and speaker's talk. Overall, a pretty fun evening!

No comments: