Sunday, May 24, 2009

Balcony garden

I realized that I haven't posted any recent pictures of Carlos' and my garden that sits out on the railing of our apartment balcony. We planted herbs a little over 3 months ago and they are huge now! The basil has really grown huge and I use it often in caprese sandwiches and on little pizzas.

I don't use the rosemary as much, but it is doing well too. The arugula was huge, but got a little out of control so we harvested it to start fresh next growing season. Same with the chives, they were growing really well, but we weren't able to keep up with them and had to harvest them all.

We also planted two varieties each of tomatoes and peppers a couple months ago and they are really big! The pepper plants are producing a LOT of big fruits, but the tomatoes aren't liking the super-hot Florida summer very much. Unfortunately, I think we have gotten as many fruits as we could out of our little tomatoes. If we had planted them in the winter, they would have done better I think. Overall, our little garden is great -- it's pretty fun to grow your own food!

No comments: