Friday, May 15, 2009

Spring semester finished!

The Spring 2009 semester is over! I have finished teaching, entered my grades, and am in the midst of writing my dissertation (one chapter down!). The semester has gone by fast! Here are some of the highlights:

• I won 1st place at the College of Arts and Sciences Research and Creativity Forum (Biological Sciences division) for my poster “Relative terrestrial mammal abundances and contrasting seed defense strategies impact neotropical seed fates.”

• I submitted my first dissertation chapter (manuscript) to the Journal of Tropical Ecology.

• I won the best graduate student paper (along with Carlos, my co-author!) for “Vertebrate fruit removal and ant seed dispersal in the Neotropical ginger Renealmia alpinia (Zingiberaceae).”

• I received an NSF-funded grant from the IRES program (a research experience for grad students program) to conduct more mammal seed dispersal/predation research in Costa Rica -- this time in a dry forest.

• I also received a Curtis Plant Sciences Scholarship for the summer!

Right now I am getting excited about going to the 2009 Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation (ATBC) conference in Marburg, Germany. I have registered, reserved a hotel, and received my plane ticket. Carlos is also going to present his research and we will have about a week after the conference to travel around Germany (I’ve never been there before and will mostly be visiting the south and central parts of the country). It’s been so long since I’ve visited Europe and now I am trying to pick up a little bit of German. Ich spreche keine Deutsch! Anyway, this has been a productive and exciting semester and I hope there are more good things to come during the next academic year!

No comments: