Saturday, September 05, 2009

Germany -- Days 11-13, Rothenburg ob der Tauber


From 3-5 August 2009, Carlos and I stayed in Rothenburg ob der Tauber (in Bavaria) after traveling by train from Bacharach and saying goodbye to Danielle in Frankfurt. The train system in Germany, based on my experiences, was fantastic -- every train we took arrived and left on time and the system was easy to navigate (even for a non-German speaker!).

We arrived in Rothenburg on the afternoon of 3 August and checked into our cute, old-fashioned hotel (Gästehaus Raidel). I really loved this place -- it was in an excellent location, was inexpensive, and had a lot of quirky charm.

During our three day stay in Rothenburg, Carlos and I had a lovely time wandering the beautiful streets of this well-preserved medieval town (probably the best in Germany). We relaxed, ate great meals (including some picnics in the scenic castle garden park within the city walls) and just enjoyed our time together. We bought some souvenirs at a couple of the famed year-round Christmas markets here and visited most of the city’s sights. I especially liked visiting the convent garden and Kriminal Museum (basically a museum detailing crime, torture, and punishment) and walking around the city exploring. We also toured the city by walking along the stone walls that line Rothenburg’s perimeter. I think Rothenburg ob der Tauber was by far my favorite city that I visited in Germany (although it was slightly full of tourists).

Sadly, Carlos and I had to leave Rothenburg on 6 August to return to Frankfurt where we had a day before flying back to Miami -- a day which I will detail in the next (and final) Germany trip post!

No comments: