Monday, October 22, 2007

Back in Miami

(I wrote this post yesterday -- Sunday 21 October -- but the internet was down so I couldn't post it until today -- Monday)

Well, so much for writing a post each day that I've been in Miami. Unfortunately I don't get a wireless signal down in my dungeon/basement office so I have to go outside to work on the internet. It's pretty disruptive and inconvenient. I've also been really busy since I arrived here on Wednesday.

I arrived at the University around midnight on Wednesday and the following day I went for a haircut and walked to the Whole Foods market about 1.5 miles away. It is pretty nice, but not as great as the one in Redmond. There were tons of people there and not enough free samples. I bought some groceries (cheese, baguette, mini pizzas, chips, juice) for meals and walked back to school.

On Friday, I took the metro-rail south to Target to buy a bunch of supplies to take back to Costa Rica. I also had a great lunch at the Lan Pan Asian Restaurant nearby. This is one of my favorite places to eat in Miami and I had a green tea latte bubble tea to drink with crab rangoon rolls. Crab rangoon is a type of sushi roll that I really like. It contains crab, cream cheese, and crunchy won ton strips. I sounds a little strange, but I really like the creamy/crunchy taste of this sushi.

Yesterday (Saturday) I walked to Sunset Place to go to Barnes and Noble to buy a notebook and to look around the mall. I spent a couple of hours there before walking back to campus. Today (Sunday) I haven't been up to much except for writing, organizing receipts to turn in for reimbursement grant money, and walking around campus taking pictures. I also have to put the finishing touches on the presentation for my committee and lab meetings tomorrow morning. The weather has been really beautiful here this past week and there are lots of squirrels and anoles (lizards) everywhere! Here are a few pictures of plants from the arboretum and from around campus:


1 comment:

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Phew!!! I thought for sure you had gotten detained at the airport for all the smuggling you were doing between miami and costa rica!! Thank heavens it's not the case.