Thursday, October 25, 2007

Now back in Costa Rica


Well, I arrived back in Costa Rica last night (Wednesday 24 Oct) around 8pm. Carlos met me at the airport and we took a taxi to the Costa Rica Backpacker's Hostel to spend the night. This was actually a really nice hostel with a pool, restaurant, bar, and helpful staff. Plus it was super-cheap for our private double room. The best part of the hostel is the old little calico kitty that hangs out in the kitchen or on a lounge chair by the pool. She looked like she had glaucoma but she could still see a little and enjoyed all the petting (and food!) that I gave her.

As for Miami, I got everything accomplished that I set out to do and it was a worthwhile and productive trip. On Monday I presented at my lab meeting and immediately after that had my committee meeting. My advisor and committee seem really happy with my results and excited about the papers that will come out of all this research! It is so nice to have a supportive and critical yet encouraging committee to meet with...a lot of other grad students have conflicts with their committees. On Tuesday I turned in a TON of receipts from a couple of grants so it will be really nice to have all that money back in my account again! I also made my last visit to Target to get a couple of things I had forgotten earlier. Overall, I had a pretty good time back in Miami, but it was so weird to see how much the biology department has changed since I've been gone: there are 4 new professors, lots of new grad students, new offices, new computers in the lab, and so many old students I used to know have graduated. Time sure flies!

1 comment:

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Are we going to see pictures of the new haircut?