Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Animals, animals everywhere


Wow, today has definitely been an animal-rich day! I usually see tons of animals each day (if you count birds, lizards, insects, peccaries) but today I saw an unusual abundance of more rare animals. This morning I saw a huge tayra (Eira barbara) which is a member of the weasel family but is BIG -- body is about a meter long plus a half-meter (or more) bushy black tail. On my way to lunch, I heard a commotion in the trees and watched as a group of howler monkeys (3 males, 2 females, 2 babies) jumped from branch to branch, making their way to the bridge, then crossed on the bridge cables to the other side of the river. This happens fairly frequently but is always fun to see. Finally, this afternoon (about an hour ago) I saw a huge Boa! He was at least 1.5 m long and was really chubby.

1 comment:

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

that looks kinda like the red tail boa my brother had as a kid. Strangely his name was Bo. Actually now that I come to think of it I think it was the ball python that was named Bo, I can't remember the name of the red tailed boa.