Saturday, November 07, 2009

DC -- Hirshorn modern art museum


One morning, while Carlos was in meetings, I wandered around the mall and found myself at the Hirshorn museum of modern art. The museum itself looks really cool from the outside -- it is basically a big doughnut with a tall fountain in the middle. There is also a little sculpture garden outside that I wandered around in until the museum opened. There were some sculptures that I liked and some bronzes by Rodin, but nothing too exciting to me overall.

Once the museum opened, I went inside and started wandering around. Sometimes I really like modern art, and other times I just hate it because the artists seem so full of themselves and lack any true artistic skill. That is how I felt about most of the pieces in the museum. Maybe I am just too obtuse to understand this type of art!

I liked the couple of Warhol paintings, Calder mobiles, Magritte pieces, and a giant tentacle sculpture that I found, but that was about all that interested me in this museum. As I was a little fed up with modern art at this point, I next walked over to the National Gallery of Art to visit some impressionists...but I will have to talk about that museum next time!

1 comment:

modern art said...

Interesting blog thanks for sharing.