Monday, November 23, 2009

Fairchild Ramble 2009


Every year, the Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden hosts a really fun plant sale with activities and food called the Ramble. Every year, the University of Miami's Gifford Arboretum recruits grad student volunteers to help sell plants and talk to people about arboretum events. In return for a couple hours of volunteer service, we get free entrance to the botanical garden and the Ramble event -- it's really fun!

I ended up going on both Saturday and Sunday (Carlos of course had to be there also since he is the Gifford Arboretum curator!), working for a couple of hours each morning, and then having the rest of the day to walk around, eat tasty food, and look at herbs, crafts, and plants for sale at all the booths.

On Saturday, I had a nice lunch of chicha morada (a Peruvian sweet purple corn drink), papas a la huancaina (Peruvian potatoes with a yellow cream sauce) , and a conch fritter. I also looked around at all the organic vegetable and herb stalls before I found one booth that had tables full of spices and whole-leaf teas that you could smell. I ended up buying a little bag of dark chocolate orange tea -- it tastes really great and I have never seen that flavor of tea before!

Carlos' and my fiend Danielle visited from the University of Florida for the weekend and she also did a great job helping out at the Ramble with us -- this is a really huge event that attracts people from all over Florida! I am kind of sad that this will be my last Ramble, but I will have to find more fun festivals to attend wherever Carlos and I end up moving!

No comments: