Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Food 16 -- Spaghetti

I am half-way through NaBloPoMo for this month and it is starting to get a little more difficult to think of blog post subjects. Soooo…for dinner last night I had spaghetti! Hehehe, not too exciting but it was really good and really hit the spot. To make it, I sautéed a lot of onions, then cooked the ground beef, let it all simmer together in sauce, and mixed it in with the cooked spaghetti. Easy! The good thing is that we made a lot, so we are having leftover spaghetti for dinner tonight. I think that day-old spaghetti is even better than fresh spaghetti!

One thing that Carlos and I really have to watch out for here, with regard to pasta, are weevils. These little beetles are really good at burrowing through packages and infesting pasta of all kinds. When we go to the grocery store, we thoroughly inspect every package of pasta for weevil holes before we buy it. Gross. Once, we were really hungry and making pasta. I dumped the noodles into the boiling water and there were a couple of small black beetles that floated to the top. I was so hungry that if we scooped them out, I would still eat it. After that, lots of little white specks started floating to the surface -- these were all the eggs and larvae that the beetles had produced inside the bag. Needless to say, we dumped all of that pasta -- eeeeeeew!

No comments: