Monday, July 07, 2008

Food 7 -- Iron Chef

Iron chef is one of my favorite food-themed shows of all time (the original, Japanese show, NOT the American version). I watched this whenever I could back in high school or college on the Food Network. The premise is unique and interesting: a challenger, while competing against a chosen Iron Chef, cooks as many delicious dishes as he/she can in 1 hour involving a theme ingredient. Whoever makes dishes that best capture the taste of the theme ingredient wins! Usually, the final dishes aren’t things that I would particularly love to eat, but sometimes the chefs do make foods that I would try. Usually the theme ingredients don’t sound very appetizing to me (e.g. natto -- fermented soybeans), but sometimes the ingredient sounds delicious (e.g. strawberries, lobster, potato).

I especially like the actor who portrays Chairman Kaga in the program. Kaga is supposed to be an eccentric gourmand and he loves to eat yellow peppers. I also like the enthusiastic commentators and instant re-plays that happen during all the cooking action.

Allez cuisine!

No comments: