Sunday, November 04, 2007

Sushi

I really like sushi. I’m not really hard-core into it like a lot of people, but I think it is a really nice combination of delicious sticky, vinegary rice, fresh seafood, veggies, and nori (seaweed). I used to hate those dried seaweed sheets, but they actually work really well with sushi. My favorite types of sushi are:

1. Crab Rangoon. I talked about this type of sushi previously when I ate it at Lan in Miami. It is comprised of crab, cream cheese, and crispy won ton strips rolled up in rice and nori.

2. California Roll. This was probably the first sushi I ever tried and the combination of avocado, crab, and cucumber wrapped in rice and nori can do no wrong!

3. Ebi. This is simply a big shrimp sitting atop a blob of rice. Shrimp is the best.

4. Tropical Roll. This may be a specialty found in Miami. This roll has cucumber, red bell pepper, and mango wrapped together in rice and nori. It sounds weird, but the flavors and crunchiness go really well together. (This one is also super-easy to make at home).

5. Inari. This consists of a fried bean curd pocket with sushi rice inside.

6. Kappa-Maki, a cucumber roll. This roll only contains cucumber surrounded by rice and nori.

There is a lot of sushi that I have to try still, but I like almost everything that I’ve tried so far!

PS. These pictures are of various sushi-themed objects that I have in my office: a pack of tissues my sister gave me for my birthday (these are too cute to ever use) and a stuffed felt ebi sushi that I made.