Saturday, March 08, 2008

List 08 -- Weird-sounding foods I would like to try

I am having trouble thinking of an interesting list to post so I will post the following: weird (to me anyway) foods that I would like to try one day.

• Fried pickle
• Garlic ice cream
• Takoyaki (spherical fried dumpling with octopus chunk inside)
• Durian fruit
• Poutine (French fries topped with cheddar curds and gravy)
• Olive oil gelato
• Dark chocolate and bacon bar
• SPAM

The fried pickle sounds like one of those foods you only find at fairs (where anything can be fried!) -- and all fair food is good...just not good for you! For garlic ice cream I will have to get to the Gilroy Garlic Festival in California sometime; for Takoyaki I need to travel to Japan; durian is in Southeast Asia (or at the Uwajimaya market in Washington); I need to make a trip to Canada for poutine; there is a store that sells olive oil gelato in New York City; I saw a dark chocolate and bacon bar in Whole Foods when I was in Miami -- but it was $10; SPAM is everywhere, but most authentic in Hawaii.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tried fried pickles (they were quite delicious), and SPAM...which wasn't actually that bad. But that was back when I ate meat. I don't think I will be eating it again any time soon. :)

Goombella said...

I really want to try fried pickles! Maybe at the Puyallup fair this summer?

Adventurous Twenty-Something said...

Garlic ice cream is interesting, sweet to the taste with an amazing aftertaste of garlic. If you can't make it to the garlic festival there's a shop that has it year round in Gilroy, but you'll only need a taste. As for the durian you can find it in LA (monterey park) as well. If you can get past the smell it's actually quite tastey.